Saturday, March 05, 2005

Moving Things Along

"Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis."

(The times change, and we change with the times).

-- John Owen


It's been a while since I updated the blog, what with one thing and another (mostly work, but who isn't busy with work these days?). Now that I've had a chance to think about things, I've decided to modify or remove a few of the upcoming posts. Things were moving too slowly for my liking. Although I've enjoyed the chance to write some more personalised episodes of what life is like for people in the changed circumstances of the DoD timeline, things were getting a little bogged down, so I've decided to do a bit of a jump start, covering the 1890s in only a few posts. At the moment, I only have about 3-4 posts planned to describe the balance of the 1890s. There's one post (although it may be split) covering the *Boer Wars and the associated situation in Liberia; one on the political circumstances of the early 1890s in the USA (which includes some details on on the life of Harry Walker, his son and how James Fisher came to write the story of his life); and one on the political developments of life in New England under John Hunter and up to 1900, which will also include census data, election results, broad social developments, and so on.

Naturally, this means that a few draft posts have had to be modified or discarded. I've decided to redo the history of Italy, which means that there will no longer be a Kingdom of Piedmont, and it will stay united into the twentieth century. I've retooled a few of the older posts to show life in the early 1900s at a personal level. There will be a post showing the life of an Irish immigrant to Kingston, Canada and then to New England and the joys of conscription and Prohibition, and another showing the life of peons in the United States, and a third showing the life of William James Walker (who will become a reasonably important figure during the late nineteenth and early twentieth century). Beyond that, other social history posts are on hold for now, except perhaps for one of Macarthur in California, covering the period from about 1881 to 1900, and there's some material about Brazil which may get turned into a separate post or bundled into one of the post-1905 posts. Events in DoD will be considerably changed by a couple of events around 1905-1906, and in effect I'm trying to cover the necessary ground to lead up to that.


Cheers,

Kaiser Wilhelm III

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home