The Shape Of Things To Come
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
It seems that every time I finish a DoD post, I end up with two more to write. The world is a very big place, and trying to describe the history of the world over a century and a half is a truly massive undertaking. Writing an alternate history of the world is even worse. But there are quite a few posts coming up, given that I tend to work on them for a while before releasing them. At the moment, the following posts are in various stages of preparation:
Post #89: "Under The Southern Cross". This is the follow-up post to #88, and shows the history of the War of the Quadruple Alliance, between Brazil and most of its southern neighbours.
Post #90: "As I Look At The World". Named for the U2 song, this is the latest of the "global tour" posts which wrap up the status of the world in about 1885-1886. This post won't contain that much new information (except for China), but it is intended to be a convenient overview when the rest of the details are scattered across nearly 100 posts.
Post #91: "Old Reliable". This post reviews U.S. internal political history in the later Corbin years, the 1888 presidential elections, and the steps President Mahan takes to bring order to the country and break the power of some of the established magnates. It also contains a more detailed timeline of events inside North America over the last 10 years (up to 1890), and the 1890 census for America, New England and Canada.
Post #92: "Lese Majesty". This post reviews the post-2NW history of Italy, and how the nation's people aren't entirely happy with what they perceive as the failure of the government, and the king, during those wars.
Interlude #5: "A Tale Of Two Citadels". This is another of the alternate architecture/tour guide posts, which describes much of the layout of 1950s Columbia, USA and Hartford, New England.
There's also a range of posts that are vague enough in their placement that I haven't assigned them provisional post numbers yet, but they cover a range of subjects and periods up to about 1900.
"It's Just Not Cricket": This is a history of the development of various sports in North America throughout the nineteenth century. It covers the development of cricket (of course), *baseball, *football, and very alt-basketball. Think Aztec revival but without *quite* as much blood sacrifice.
"Go West, Young Man": Like most posts, this one is named for a song title. (This one by Michael W Smith). This post is a social history of the American West. It's told through the eyes of a social historian who has combined primary sources (mostly letters and newspaper articles) with a "present-day" tour of the modern American West, describing what remains of those early days, and how it has been replaced by what comes later. (Not much is left of the old battle sites with the Plains tribes, for instance). This post is very much in the draft stages - I've sketched a number of episodes, but I expect to be working on this one for a while.
"Fields of Gold; Cities of Silver": Another social history post, partly a reference to the song by Sting. This one is told from the POV of America's lower classes, principally a slave family in agricultural Kansas and a debt-slave family in Cincinnati, Ohio. This post is taking a while to write, largely because I still need to track down some good sources on the life of slaves as seen through slaves' eyes.
"By Their Fruits Ye Shall Know Them": A post which has been in the works for a while, but which keeps getting delayed by one thing or another, and consequently needs to get rewritten to reflect recent changes. This is the story of a planter's daughter who establishes herself in Honduras and what she does there. It gives some social insights into how the U.S. system
of bonded labour is being established, and the effects on the language.
"Age of Reason": A review of major philosophies of the *19th and early *20th century. It includes the development of Matthist thought, in particular, and some of the other philisophical movements, including *socialism, *social democracy (New England's version of the welfare state), and so on. The parts on Matthist thought are unpleasant enough to write that they're taking me a while.
I should also mention that if there's any areas you'd particularly like to see covered in the TL, let me know. I can't make any guarantees - writing posts always assumes that I can find out enough about a subject to make a meaningful post, and the backlog of posts is already longer than I like to think about - but I can always look at it.
Cheers,
Kaiser Wilhelm III
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
It seems that every time I finish a DoD post, I end up with two more to write. The world is a very big place, and trying to describe the history of the world over a century and a half is a truly massive undertaking. Writing an alternate history of the world is even worse. But there are quite a few posts coming up, given that I tend to work on them for a while before releasing them. At the moment, the following posts are in various stages of preparation:
Post #89: "Under The Southern Cross". This is the follow-up post to #88, and shows the history of the War of the Quadruple Alliance, between Brazil and most of its southern neighbours.
Post #90: "As I Look At The World". Named for the U2 song, this is the latest of the "global tour" posts which wrap up the status of the world in about 1885-1886. This post won't contain that much new information (except for China), but it is intended to be a convenient overview when the rest of the details are scattered across nearly 100 posts.
Post #91: "Old Reliable". This post reviews U.S. internal political history in the later Corbin years, the 1888 presidential elections, and the steps President Mahan takes to bring order to the country and break the power of some of the established magnates. It also contains a more detailed timeline of events inside North America over the last 10 years (up to 1890), and the 1890 census for America, New England and Canada.
Post #92: "Lese Majesty". This post reviews the post-2NW history of Italy, and how the nation's people aren't entirely happy with what they perceive as the failure of the government, and the king, during those wars.
Interlude #5: "A Tale Of Two Citadels". This is another of the alternate architecture/tour guide posts, which describes much of the layout of 1950s Columbia, USA and Hartford, New England.
There's also a range of posts that are vague enough in their placement that I haven't assigned them provisional post numbers yet, but they cover a range of subjects and periods up to about 1900.
"It's Just Not Cricket": This is a history of the development of various sports in North America throughout the nineteenth century. It covers the development of cricket (of course), *baseball, *football, and very alt-basketball. Think Aztec revival but without *quite* as much blood sacrifice.
"Go West, Young Man": Like most posts, this one is named for a song title. (This one by Michael W Smith). This post is a social history of the American West. It's told through the eyes of a social historian who has combined primary sources (mostly letters and newspaper articles) with a "present-day" tour of the modern American West, describing what remains of those early days, and how it has been replaced by what comes later. (Not much is left of the old battle sites with the Plains tribes, for instance). This post is very much in the draft stages - I've sketched a number of episodes, but I expect to be working on this one for a while.
"Fields of Gold; Cities of Silver": Another social history post, partly a reference to the song by Sting. This one is told from the POV of America's lower classes, principally a slave family in agricultural Kansas and a debt-slave family in Cincinnati, Ohio. This post is taking a while to write, largely because I still need to track down some good sources on the life of slaves as seen through slaves' eyes.
"By Their Fruits Ye Shall Know Them": A post which has been in the works for a while, but which keeps getting delayed by one thing or another, and consequently needs to get rewritten to reflect recent changes. This is the story of a planter's daughter who establishes herself in Honduras and what she does there. It gives some social insights into how the U.S. system
of bonded labour is being established, and the effects on the language.
"Age of Reason": A review of major philosophies of the *19th and early *20th century. It includes the development of Matthist thought, in particular, and some of the other philisophical movements, including *socialism, *social democracy (New England's version of the welfare state), and so on. The parts on Matthist thought are unpleasant enough to write that they're taking me a while.
I should also mention that if there's any areas you'd particularly like to see covered in the TL, let me know. I can't make any guarantees - writing posts always assumes that I can find out enough about a subject to make a meaningful post, and the backlog of posts is already longer than I like to think about - but I can always look at it.
Cheers,
Kaiser Wilhelm III
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home